The Windows 10 operating system has a built in facility to help you solve some of the problems that you will inevitably encounter as you use your system. This facility is called the Action Center and is accessed through the notifications area in the taskbar. Notifications come from a variety of places, including the Windows Store, installed apps, and the Action Center itself. This center contains a number of different categories, one of which is the “Update and Security” category. This category includes a link to view the latest updates available to your system. After you have clicked that link, you will be taken to the Windows Update screen which is shown in the image below.
We've all had problems installing programs on our Windows machines, but the error message that pops up when you try to install Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable on Windows 10 is particularly frustrating: “Something went wrong”. The message then goes on to say that the program is “not installed correctly”. The error occurs because the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable install package is corrupted. The error can occur on any Windows 10-based computer. The issue can be easily solved by downloading the Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 from Microsoft's website.
In this article, we have listed some troubleshooting steps that will help you to resolve Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable installation error.
How to solve the installation error of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015?
1. Delete existing Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package
- Press Windows key + R to open Run.
- Go to the control panel and press OK to open the control panel.
- Go to Programs and click on Programs and Features.
- Find and remove any Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable items you see in the installed applications list.
- After uninstalling, download the Microsoft Fix It utility.
- Start the program and click on the Advanced option.
- Check the Apply repairs automatically box and click Next.
- On the next screen, select Setup.
- A list of applications will then open for you. Select Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable from the list and click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and make the recommended corrections.
- Then download Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable and 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC to your computer.
- Restart your computer and reinstall Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable to see if the error is fixed.
If Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable does not appear in the list of added/deleted programs, but you still get error 0070666 – Another version of this product is already installed, try installing the distribution from the command line.
If the problem persists, try installing available Windows updates and other patches. Skip this step if you do not want to install the following Windows updates right away.
2. Installing WindowsUpdates and patches
- Press the Windows key + I.
- Go to Update and Security.
- On the Windows Updates tab, you can download and install pending Windows updates and other patches.
- Restart the computer and check if you can install the package without any errors.
After installing the updates, look for the Microsoft Visual c++ 2015 Redistributable installation error.
3. Uninstalling Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable from the command line
- Make sure you have the latest version of Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable loaded on your computer.
- Then open File Explorer and navigate to the folder where you saved the file you want to share. Copy the path to the clipboard.
- Open a command prompt as administrator.
- In the command prompt window, navigate to the folder where the downloaded file is stored.
- So type the following command and press Enter to run it. Make sure you change the path to the following command:cd C:UsersWindowsReportDownloads
- In the folder, execute the following command, depending on what you downloaded:
- A pop-up window will appear asking you to restore the distribution package installation. Start the recovery option and wait for it to complete.
- Once the recovery is complete, restart your computer and try to install Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable.
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems.
Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology.
Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components.
Note that it is important to change the directory in the command prompt to the correct directory before running the delete command.
4. Reinstalling Visual Studio 2017 Redistributable
- Press Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- Search for and select the Visual Studio C++ 2017 Redistributable package.
- Press Delete and confirm with Yes.
- In the installation window, click Uninstall again and follow the on-screen instructions.
- After removing the package, restart your computer.
- After the restart, download and install Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable.
- If the installation was successful, download and install the latest version of the Visual Studio 2017 Redistributable package.
If you already have Visual Studio 2017 Redistributable installed, it may block the installation of the Visual Studio C++ 2015 distribution because it is backwards compatible.
As a workaround, uninstall the Redistributable 2017 package and reinstall it after installing the Redistributable 2015 package.
This is a workaround, but it may work if you get an error when installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable.
5. Delete temporary files
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
- Enter %temp% and click OK. This will open the Temp folder in File Explorer.
- Select and delete all files in the Temp. folder
- If the folder is empty, run the installer and verify that the installation of Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable succeeded.
6. Registering the Windows Installer service again
- Press the Windows key + R.
- In the Run dialog box, type the following and press Enter. This command displays nothing.msiexec /unregister
- Then type the following in the Run box and click OK to run it.msiexec /regserver
- Again, the command displays everything except the Windows Installer service registry.
After successful re-registration of the Windows Installer Service, you should be able to install the Visual Studio C++ Redistributable package without errors.
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable installation error usually occurs due to an existing installation of an identical package or a newer version, but can be easily fixed.
This source has been very much helpful in doing our research. Read more about visual c++ redistributable and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 error?
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 installation failed. This is being caused due to the failure of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 package to install properly. (If you are facing this problem, you are not alone.) A few simple steps usually can fix the issue, but you need to know what caused the problem in the first place. If you are an avid gamer, you probably already know that Windows 10 is the new operating system that everyone seems to be talking about. It is not surprising that a lot of gamers are opting for Windows 10 over previous Windows versions. The new Microsoft operating system comes with a lot of perks such as better performance, new features, and a more secure system to use.
How do I install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015?
Microsoft's Visual C++ 2015 is the latest version of the development tool chain for Windows. It includes the latest versions of the C and C++ compilers, along with the libraries needed to develop applications for Windows. It's these libraries that get you the runtime errors you see when you try to install Visual C++ 2015, but there are some ways you can get around these. The Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package is a Microsoft software update package that installs run-time components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2015 installed.
How do I fix error 0x80240017?
The error 0x80240017 means that something went wrong with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 setup. The name 0x80240017 is not a code, but a term used to describe the error. The error message is trying to tell you that you have a problem with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 redistributable. You will need to follow the steps below to fix this issue. If you're having trouble with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 setup failed with error 0.x.x.x, there are a few steps you can take to diagnose and fix the problem. First, you should check if there are any updates available for your computer. If there are, you should install them, and then try to reinstall the program. If that doesn't work, you should check if the problem is with your computer or the installation media. In both cases, you'll need to contact the manufacturer for help.
Feedback,visual c++ redistributablemicrosoft visual c++ 2015 downloadmicrosoft visual c++ 2017 redistributable setup failed windows 7visual c++ redistributable for visual studio 2015microsoft visual c++ 2015 setup failed 0x80240017 windows 7microsoft visual c++ 2015 redistributable setup failed windows 10,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,microsoft visual c++ 2015 setup failed 0x80240017 windows 7,microsoft visual c++ 2015 redistributable setup failed windows 10,microsoft visual c++ 2015 setup failed 0x80070666,visual c++ redistributable,download microsoft visual c++ 2015 redistributable,microsoft visual c++ 2015 download,microsoft visual c++ 2017 redistributable setup failed windows 7,visual c++ redistributable for visual studio 2015