Microsoft Edge is built with the goal of being a lightweight browser that’s fast, secure, and private. But for many people, Edge can be too much of a good thing. You can take advantage of all of Edge’s power, features, and privacy settings if you use the “Efficiency Mode” option to minimize the browser’s resources.
Following the recent announcement of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Microsoft has also announced that a new feature called Efficiency Mode will be coming to Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions as an optional feature. Efficiency Mode reduces the size of the Windows 10 Start menu by removing items that aren’t regularly used.
Vladimir Popescu Editor-in-Chief
Vladimir, who has been an artist all his life and plays professional handball, is also fascinated by all things computer related. With an innate penchant for research and analysis, and an awareness of… Read more
- Since Microsoft’s announcement, users have been looking for different ways to enable Edge’s Efficiency Mode.
- This new feature optimizes browser performance, conserves battery power and minimizes resource consumption.
- However, not all improvements are good, as some of them make some features slower.
- If you want to enable or disable Microsoft’s Edge Efficiency Mode, the solution is at your fingertips and in this guide.
We recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool to solve various PC problems:
This program fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC repair tool, which contains a patented technology (patent available here).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- To fix problems that affect the security and performance of your computer, click Repair All.
- Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
According to Microsoft’s latest announcement, Efficiency Mode for Edge will minimize power consumption to extend battery life by reducing resource usage on your device.
When you enable Efficiency mode, Edge reduces the load on CPU and memory, automatically puts inactive tabs to sleep after 5 minutes, and respects the schedule of previous inactive tabs in sleep.
The only downside to this feature is that it can result in smoother videos and slower animations when you are not interacting with the browser.
This new feature is currently only available to certain insiders, and improvements may vary depending on your device specifications and browsing habits.
For those looking for ways to enable this new feature and speed up their Windows 11 computer while browsing the web, here’s how to enable the new efficiency mode in Microsoft Edge.
How do I enable Edge efficiency mode in Windows 11?
1. Using Microsoft Edge settings
- Open Edge and tap the horizontal menu with the three dots in the upper right corner to open the settings.
- Select System and Performance from the left sidebar.
- Under Power Optimization, turn on the Efficiency Mode switch to enable this feature.
It will also interest you to know that you can customize the efficiency mode by choosing from three options.
You can select an efficiency mode that is always on, only on when the computer is not connected to a network, or when the device is not connected to a network and the battery is low.
Now that you have enabled efficiency mode, read on to find out how to set it up.
2. Customizing performance mode in Microsoft Edge
- Go back to the Microsoft Edge settings and select System and Performance.
- Now press the power button to change the efficiency mode settings.
If you come to the conclusion that Efficiency Mode is not right for you, you can still turn it off by following the steps above, but instead of turning it on, turn off the Efficiency Mode switch.
I hope you found what you were looking for and that you can now use this new feature to improve the overall performance of your PC.
Want to know about other new features and improvements in the new operating system? Then you should definitely check out our test of the Windows 11 version.
Do you have any suggestions or questions? Feel free to use the comments section below and let us know what you think.
Was this page helpful? Thank you.
Not enough details.
It’s hard to understand
Contact an expert
Start the conversation
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enable performance mode in edge?
To enable performance mode in edge, open the Settings app and go to the Network & Internet section. Select Advanced then Performance. Toggle the “Enable performance mode” switch to the ON position.
How do you use the edge app?
The edge app is a mobile application that allows you to create a profile, find and connect with other people who share your interests, and make plans to meet up. The app also allows you to find things to do in your area, and to share your experiences with friends.
How do I continue mobile in Microsoft edge?
To continue using your mobile device in Microsoft Edge, you’ll need to install an app from the Windows Store. To continue using your mobile device in Microsoft Edge, you’ll need to install an app from the Windows Store.